The story behind a name
On December 15th 1939, not long after the beginning of the Second World War, a three month old baby girl was wrapped in blankets and left on the door step of the Royal Hotel.
Despite many pleas and help from the hotel the parents of the baby girl could unfortunately not be traced. Pat Fitzgerald has sadly not been able to trace her heritage.
In 2010 a VIP event was held at the hotel to mark the anniversary and to promote an appeal for information. From then the bar has taken her name as ‘Fitz’s Bar’.
Bee-lieving in the future
We’ve been expanding, updating, remodelling and changing since the very beginning and continue to keep up with the times.
In 2013, a new set of permanent residents moved in to our 6th floor space, affectionally known as “6B”. The hive is home to thousands of bees and continues to produce honey each year for guests to enjoy.
As well as honey we endeavour to support the local business ‘Natures Little Helpers’ from Llanishen with selling by-products of the honey making process such as candles, balms and soaps.
To help the environment we have introduced eco-friendly packaged ‘BeeKind’ toiletries in our bedrooms. These products are cruelty free, with a portion of their proceeds funding bee colonisation projects.
A journey never forgotten
Before leaving British soil abroad the Terra Nova for an Antarctic expedition on the 15th June 1910, a farewell dinner was held by the Cardiff Chamber of Commerce for Captain Robert Falcon Scott and his expedition team.
It was hosted within the ‘Alexandra Room’, now renamed the ‘Captain Scott Room’ in his honour, where a thirteen course meal was enjoyed. An annual celebration of commemoration for Captain Scott is held on the anniversary of his farewell meal.
Forward to today the Captain Scott Room now hosts breakfast daily, and is available for private hire.
The changing face of the Royal Hotel
Built in 1866, the Royal Hotel Cardiff has seen many changes to itself and its surroundings over the years, but still stands proud in the heart of Cardiff. Originally only 70 bedrooms, the first change involved adding an extension (both horizontally and vertically!) to the building which added 50 further guest bedrooms and staff quarters.
A hundred years later the building, as it was, was changed forever when new management decided to use the ground floor space as two public bars and move the Hotel and bedrooms to the second floors and above.
The original entrance along with the famous Royal Hotel staircase was lost (becoming part of what is now Slug and Lettuce). After extensive remodelling, the Hotel re-opened in 2006 with 60 bedrooms over five floors, and now welcomes 30,000+ guests a year.